Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Announcement: I'm Going to Sundance!

Photo courtesy rogerebert.com


Apologies for the break in posts, readers! Blame the holidays and an uncharacteristic amount of travel between November and January.

Along with my return comes some very exciting (well, to me), news. Almost two months after receiving the invitation email, I'm still in dazed disbelief as I write this. In a twist of glorious fate (and for reasons I'm honestly still scratching my head over), I've been selected for the Indiewire | Sundance Institute Ebert Fellowship for Film Criticism.

Starting tomorrow through February 1st, I'll be on the ground in Park City, Utah, reviewing films, learning from a mentor, networking (hopefully), and with any luck, not making a complete awkward fool of myself while doing it all as I navigate my way through the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, courtesy of the Roger and Chaz Ebert Foundation.

Indiewire provides a more detailed breakdown of what the fellowship entails in its article last week (check it out here!), but in a nutshell, the fellowship is described as an initiative "designed to bolster the career momentum for emerging practitioners."  once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to immerse myself in a creatively-charged environment while simultaneously learning from veterans in the field and celebrating the best of indie cinema with like-minded film enthusiasts. I don't think it gets better than that.

They've got us working right away, with two preview pieces on Indiewire.com:

Look out for at least 10 more to follow on Ebert.com and Indiewire over the course of the festival. 

To say I am intimidated is an understatement. To say I am excited is an even bigger one. And to say this is a dream come true would be entirely inaccurate indeed--this is a privilege and an experience I didn't even dare to imagine could ever be real.

Track me on Twitter to keep up with my reviews and reflections throughout the festival. Hope to do you all proud!


No comments:

Post a Comment